Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving


I spent the day at my Mother's with various brothers and sisters, neices and nephews. It was a traditional day of gluttonous American over-indulgence. (belch).

Predictably, I got the eating-too-much-turkey-sleepiness about 4 p.m. and chastized myself for my weakness. I justified it to myself by reminding myself that I've only begun my journey towards understanding the evils of American traditions and culture. So I cut myself some slack on that. Since I had already spent the day as a capitalist pig, I decided I would cut myself a piece of cake too, and it wouldn't be any worse if I put ice cream on top. So I did. I even cut the piece of cake a little larger. There's always tomorrow.

I noticed as I drove home from my Mother's a large red sign in front of a large national hardware store, 'Holiday Trees'. I noticed an enormous sign hanging on a local Chinese restaurant, 'Merry Christmas'. Interesting cultural confusion. Apparently, the news that Christmas has become politically incorrect hasn't reached the Orient yet. Maybe the internet will help get the word out.

'Holiday Trees'. Does it have the same festive ring as 'Christmas Trees'?

Gute Nacht

No comments: