Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Holiday - Holy Day

This enlightenment things just gets more and more complicated.

I just read on The Median Sibs Blog that the word holiday is derived from HOLY-Day so I looked it up:

  • Main Entry: 1hol·i·day Pronunciation: 'hä-l&-"dA, British usually 'hä-l&-dEFunction: nounEtymology: Middle English, from Old English hAligdæg, from hAlig holy + dæg day
  • Main Entry: holy day Function: noun: a day set aside for special religious observance

So, if we change over to saying 'Happy Holidays' rather than 'Merry Christmas', we are still getting Church and State all mixed up together.

Back to the drawing board for this member of the unwashed masses!

2 comments:

Joan said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere,Beth! I enjoyed reading your inaugural posts.

Jane said...

Beth, your blog is great. I, for one, will say Merry Christmas all I want and the PC crowd can just........(I'm too PC to say it)!!