Tuesday, December 06, 2005

They Are Tearing Up My Front Yard


I stayed home today to try to get some work done without the constant interuptions I have in my office.

So the city decided to tear up my front yard today. It's a conspiracy, I'm sure it is.

I went out and talked to the guys with the front end loaders (plural) digging up my yard. They are putting in new water lines, they told me. All the way down the mountain. It's all about improving our ability to get good water from the water tanks on top of the mountain.

I think it's really about the chi-chi new neighborhoods that are being built a little further down the mountain from us and one a little higher on the mountain.

As per the city, they have a right-of-way up to 15 feet into our yard. Well, maybe we'll end up with better water.

A man is standing in the hole they are digging and I can only see his head - so it's pretty deep. As I watch them tear up the curb, and dig out the entire length of the road front of our yard, I can't help but think of all the money we spent last spring to reinforce the drainage system around our property. { See previous story about the need for drainage and flood insurance when you live on the side of a mountain. }


Sigh.

No comments: