Monday, December 12, 2005

Treats for the Troops

I have been getting packages together to send to my son and his new wife overseas. Being in the military they are poor as church mice, so I send them what I can. Just everyday things are helpful and not that expensive or time consuming to get together and send.

Some tips on sending packages:

  • Make sure you have the correct APO address.

  • Be sure to fill out a customs receipt at your local post office

  • If you are are sending food, the more airtight the better. Send vacuum-packed cookies, or you can remove air from a zip-lock bag by sucking the air through a straw.

  • Layers! The more layers the better. Wrap items in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place them in zip-lock bags.

  • Pad items with soft usable items. Toilet paper is great for cusioning and something that will be much needed itself.


I have found the post office personnel to be very helpful when sending packages to APO addresses.

Packages can take 3 or more weeks to get to our soldiers, especially if they are deployed. So make sure they are packed well and that the contents are the type that will travel well.

Some suggestions for travel-friendly treats.

Crispy Peanut Squares

1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups crisp rice cereal squares
1 cup peanuts

Combine first 3 ingredients in a glass bowl; microwave on HIGH 3 to 4 minutes or until melted, stirring once. Stir in vanilla.

Fold in cereal and peanuts. Spread mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch pan. Cover and chill 1 hour or until set; cut into small squares

Spicy Pecans

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup orange juice concentrate
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups coarsely chopped pecans

Cook first 6 ingredients in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, and stir in pecans. Transfer to a lightly greased baking sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until toasted. Cool and store in an airtight container.

Chocolate Nut Brownie Cookies

2/3 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts

Beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs, beating until blended.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to mixer, beating at low spped jut until blended. Stir in morsels and nuts.

Drop dough by tablespoonfuls for small cookies or 1/4 cupfuls for large cookies onto lightly greased baking sheets.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or untils et. Cool cookies on baking sheets 1 minute, and remove to wire racks to cool completely.


** These recipes aren't original with me, but I don't remember where I got them. But they travel well.**

Check out
Samantha Speaks who has a post about deployed warriors today.

Also check out
Any Soldier for more information about sending packages to our soldiers. At Treat Any Soldier you can order packages and have them sent to 'any soldier'.

Hope this is helpful!

*also post at Blue Star Chronicles



7 comments:

Joan said...

Great post. Thanks for the links. I hope it is not too late to get a package together and sent.

Anonymous said...

Poor as church mice!?! It's not that bad...yet! So, do you expect me to believe you actually baked us those goodies you talked about sending? Let me remind you that my "birthday dinner" was Papa Johns before you answer that and compromise yourself. By the way, we FINALLY got our household shipment today ( after 1 month, 3 weeks and 4 days with only the things I could cram into a suitcase), so now that my PC is here I'm trying to take in everything you've written so far. It's good, very passive aggressive! Stick it to 'em!

Beth said...

I was speaking of the military men/women in general.

I see my little daughter-in-law has found my blog :)

I hope y'all are having a very nice Christmas!

Be nice! Now I have to go back and see what I've written that's passive aggressive!

:)

Beth said...

BTW, see that's good writing, I told you should do a blog yourself!

Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://tpbtzwjh.com/dtje/yhxm.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://iknogxhu.com/mdxq/gfuo.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://tpbtzwjh.com/dtje/yhxm.html | http://ckoielcq.com/unii/zgff.html

Anonymous said...

Good day

Finally you can sell your used and new products FREE on the new advance http://www.BuySellDirect.net


http://www.BuySellDirect.net service is rock solid and 100% FREE.